Using the Content Management Features
Using the Content Management Features
NetObjects Fusion's Content Management features provide Web designers the ability to lock objects in place while they design, protect objects when collaborating with other designers to offer clients and designers a solution that protects the integrity of the site design.
Protecting an Object
You can prevent objects on a site from being altered by protecting specific attributes, such as an object's content, size, and position.
To protect an object:
- Right-click on the object and select the Protection option from the shortcut menu.
When you right-click an object, the shortcut menu will display a protection option specific to the object. For example, you would choose Picture Protection from the shortcut menu to set protection options for an image and Text Protection to set protection options for text.
The Protection dialog appears.
- In the Protect from section, select options to prevent the object's content (e.g., table cells, text, images) from being changed. You can also prevent the object from being deleted or copied elsewhere on the site.
- In the Protect Size section, you can retain the object's current height, width, and aspect ratio by selecting the corresponding check boxes.
- Lock an object's horizontal and vertical position on the page by selecting the appropriate check boxes in the Protect Position section.
- Click All to select all protection options, or clear all selected check boxes by clicking None.
- Click OK.
Protecting a Layout
When a Layout is protected, it cannot be resized, and new content cannot be added.
- In Page view, click inside the Layout area.
- The Layout Properties panel appears displaying the General tab.
- Click the Protect Layout from editing check box in the Layout Properties panel.
- To allow text in a Layout to be modified, select the Allow text editing in Layout check box.
Protecting a MasterBorder
You can protect any MasterBorder on a site so that it is not editable.
- In Page view, click in the MasterBorder to display the MasterBorder Properties panel.
- Select the MasterBorder you want to protect from the Name drop-down menu.
- Click the Protect MasterBorder from editing check box.
- To allow MasterBorder text to be modified, select the Allow text editing in MasterBorder check box.
Protecting a Page
You can set Protection Options for an entire page of a website so that protected elements cannot be altered.
- In Site View, select the page or pages to which you want to apply protection options.
The Page Properties panel appears.
- Click the Protection Options tab on the Page Properties panel.
- In the Protect Page section,select the page protection properties.
- From deletion prevents the page from being deleted.
- From copying restricts the page from being copied and pasted elsewhere on the site.
- From move locks the page's position in the SiteStructure.
- From adding child page prevents new pages from being created under the parent page.
- In the Protect Page Content section, set the protection options for the page content.
- Protect layout from editing prevents a user from resizing or adding new content to the layout.
- Allow text editing in layout permits text editing within a protected layout.
- Protect MasterBorder from editing prevents the MasterBorder from being changed, resized, or edited.
- Allow text editing in a MasterBorder allows text in a protected MasterBorder to be edited.
- Inherit Protection Options from parent applies the Protection Options of the parent page to the selected child page.
Protecting a Site
You can apply Protection Options to an entire site so that protected elements cannot be edited on any page of the site.
- In Site View, select Options > Current Site from the Tools menu.
The Current Site Options dialog appears.
- Click the Site Protection tab.
- In the Protect Page field, select the site protection properties.
- From deletion prevents all site pages from being deleted.
- From copying restricts all pages from being copied and pasted elsewhere on the site.
- From moving locks the position of all pages in the SiteStructure.
- From adding child pages prevents new pages from being created under any parent page.
- In the Protect Page Content field, set the protection options for the page content.
- Protect layout from editing prevents a user from resizing or adding new content to all page layouts.
- Allow text editing in layout permits text editing within protected layouts.
- Protect MasterBorder from editing prevents all MasterBorders from being changed, resized, or edited.
- Allow text editing in a MasterBorder allows text in all protected MasterBorders to be edited.
- Inherit Protection Options from parent applies the Protection Options of each parent page to their respective child page.
- Restrict new image file sizes to allows you to specify a maximum allowable size for each image on the site.
- Click OK to apply the site-wide Protection Options.
Editing Protected Objects
If you have set Protection Options for several elements throughout your site, you can easily suspend those Protection Options so that you can continue to modify your site without having to remove and restore each Protection Option individually.
- To suspend Protection Options on a site, select Application > Options from the Tools menu.
The Application Options dialog appears, displaying the Program tab.
- Select the Edit Locked Options check box.
- Click OK to suspend the Protection Options.
Applying this option allows you to edit your website while the protection options are still applied in the background.