Creating a Custom Navigation Bar
To create a custom navigation bar, you first create a separate site structure that is used only with the navigation bar. You set up a page structure in the same way you would in Site view. In the navigation structure, however, you can have multiple pages at the same level as your Home page, plus add the same page to different trees. This is especially helpful if you are designing sites, such as intranets, in which you want to break your design into "mini" sites.
- In Page view, select the navigation bar.
The General tab of the Navigation Bar Properties panel appears.
- Click the Style tab of the Navigation Bar Properties panel.
- In the Structure section, select Custom and click Edit.
- The Custom Navigation Bar dialog appears.
- From the Target drop-down list, select:
- None to use the default link settings.
- Existing to target the link in an existing frame.
- _blank loads the specified page into a new browser window.
- _parent loads the designated content into the current frame's parent. If the current frame has no parent, the content is loaded into the same frame as the element that refers to this target.
- _self replaces the page where the link resides with the page of that link. This is similar to how links behave on sites with no frames.
- _top loads the designated content into the full, original window. This cancels all other frames. If the current frame has no parent the content is loaded into the same frame as the element that refers to this target.
- Pop-up Window to display the page in a new pop-up window.
- From the Link type drop-down list, select:
- Internal Link to link to another page in the site.
Select a page in the list on the left and click Add to move it into the list on the right, or drag it from the left to the right.
- External Link to link to a page in another site. Type the path to the page you want to link to; for example, http://www.netobjects.com and click Add to move it into the list, or drag it from the left to the right.
- File Link to link to a file. Type the path to the file you want to link to or click Browse to locate the file, click Save, and then click Add to move the file into the list, or drag it from the left to the right.
If your site has many pages and a lot of links, click Find to search for a specific link in the list of current links. Click Find Again to search for the next occurrence of the same link.
- To add divide your site into sections using section title buttons, click Add Title to add section title buttons to the navigation bar.
Section title buttons must be added to the current SiteStyle before being added to a navigation bar.
- To arrange the order of buttons and section title buttons on the navigation bar, use the Move up and Move down buttons or simply drag the buttons into position.
To remove a button, select it and click Remove. To clear the list and start over, click Remove All and click Yes to confirm.